Going-Ons in My Heart

I started Angela Thomas's Bible Study Brave toward the end of January. It has been good. Short homework with good truths. This week was on discipline. I joked with the ladies in my study that they may want to work out once or twice before starting the week, just to feel OK about pushing through.

Here's the deal. I have a hard time being super consistent with studying the Word. Since having babies and being pregnant I just feel tired a lot, and rarely feel like running to grab something to study when I do get a quiet moment. Usually I want quite the opposite - mindless activity. Mind you, the Lord has been incredibly gracious to me during this season and teaches me and whispers to me throughout the chaos and the beauty of motherhood.

Still I found myself jotting down my list of areas in need of discipline and studying the Word easily went to the top of my list of needs. Angela reminds us during this week that our battle against being undisciplined is spiritual, not a matter of will. She uses the verses in Romans 8:26-27 that talks about the Spirit interceding for the saints according to the will of God. I found comfort in turning this area over to the Spirit and asking Him to grow this desire within me and not trying to conjure up a particular routine to follow and fail at.

My Mom brought me a couple of devotionals when she came. I am pretty behind on the swing, but on Monday I started Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts devotional. I wanted to. It called to me. Wouldn't you know, it is shaking me up. Because I found such joy in my new habit of expressing thankfulness, I felt prompted to share with a few ladies I am close to at the hospital. I do believe that there is freedom in thankfulness, and as Ann suggest perhaps that is where we find peace. I want that for those ladies at the hospital. I want that for me. After talking with them and seeing their interest, I went out and bought 3 of the ladies journals and pens and then came home and made them as fancy and beautiful as I could. I took them back, and they too are starting a list of thankfulness.

Some things from my list:

A husband who works hard with his hands
Listening to Jovie's babbling in the early morning
Listening to Anaya as she makes up stories
Hot coffee and rusks
My husband's heart for adoption

I could go on and on. Things I'd become numb to. Things of daily life that are worthy of giving thanks to God, the giver of all things good. And do  you know what? I am finding joy there. Anaya was telling me about some flowers she saw today, and I asked her if she thought we should thank Jesus for those and how good they smell. I prayed out loud right then. I want to raise children of thanks, who know Who gives good gifts. Everyday.

And so, since Monday, I believe the Spirit of God has been stirring up a hunger inside. A hunger for knowing Him - right now found in gratefulness.



3 Response to "Going-Ons in My Heart"

  1. Beautiful Warrior says:
    March 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM

    I love this! Vicki gave me the One Thousand Gifts devotional for my birthday. I read it maybe 2 or 3 days a week, but I have made it a goal to sit down and write out three things I am thankful for every day. It's so good for your heart, isn't it? I have been trying to teach the kids that prayer is as much about thanking the Lord for his good gifts as it is about making requests.

  2. judykprescott says:
    March 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

    Awesome...That's what God is...AWESOME! I'm grateful He is using His servant Ann to speak to us (I doubt she would consider herself His servant!) and then we get to be servant's for Him as we share w/other's this good word! Layne, I'm thakful for your reminder to ask the Spirit to put the desire in your heart, because I can SO relate to trying to conjure it up myself and failing. What a gift to give our children.. a thankful heart in all seasons of life :) There are so very many good days in her book, can't wait to hear more from you ;) You are a VERY good mommy and Jon is a great dad and together I believe ya'll will raise your little harvest in righteousness, and that pleases God :) Love you tons, Mama XO

  3. Vicki Says:
    March 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM

    Amen, Layne! Your sweet Mama also gave me that devotional, and the Lord has been doing a deep work in me as I rediscover the art of thankfulness. How sad that we can so easily forget the profound debt of gratitude we owe the Lord. How gracious He is to forgive us and to remind us ... again. I am so thankful!!!

Post a Comment