New Do... Hair do that is

When I want my hair done, I normally want it done right then... not a good habit.

I had been pondering it a bit, whether I wanted to keep my hair long and just add layers, or if I wanted to go back to having short hair. Now that we will be in Mozambique, I will have a blow dryer and can have that option.

After lots of thinking, I decided I wanted to keep the long hair.

Still feeling the need for change; however, I wanted more layers. I have cut many people's hair, and I feel like I have a decent idea of what I am doing. So in my confidence, I told Jon to help me cut my own hair. (Jon had no choice and can take none of the blame.)

I started pulling my hair this way and that and telling Jon, "Cut here, like this."

Initially it was going well and I was thinking I would like it, but soon I realized the layers were too short for the amount of hair I still had pulled up... trouble. I began to panic, realizing my desire for long hair was vanishing.

Gripping the sink, I looked in to the mirror, my eyes filling with tears. Jon tried to calm me, reassure me that maybe we could do something. I said we needed go to a hair dresser now.

Unfortunately, they were all closed. I cried some more.

We got home, Jon ran to the grocery store and I had a good look at my hair. Schmullet. I took the scissors and whacked it all off. (I should have taken pictures, but I was crying and couldn't bring myself to it.)

The next morning we hunted for a salon. 3 misses. Finally, over the phone, I made an appointment. We jumped in the car to attempt to find the place. Place = shady.

Jon asked if I wanted to stay, and in my desperation I said 'Yes'.

I was the only white person in there. I got my hair washed and then was seated, only to wait for 20 or more minutes for someone to finally come to me. During that time I had to calm my nervous vain-self saying that it is only hair.

There was a sign hanging on the wall that said "God is good" or something like that, so I chatted with God and told Him I was believing for His protection over my hair. Ha! Ridiculous, huh? But girls, I bet you could relate.

Anyways, the lady did a good job.

I went home, only to cut on it about 3 more times, layering here, thinning there. In between, I had a nap with Jon. He looked over at me, and I was crying again. He asked if I was okay, and I replied threw sobs, "I thought of my ponytail!" =)

In the end, I like it; I really do. I am getting used to it and will fully embrace my short haired self soon.

11 Response to "New Do... Hair do that is"

  1. bleedingdaughter says:
    May 4, 2010 at 2:46 AM

    cute!!! i REALLY like how it looks from the side.
    and im amazed att how wonderful jon was. i think i wouldnt have tried to be as understanding about ALL of your tears;)

  2. Natalie Ward says:
    May 4, 2010 at 3:24 AM

    you look like your sister.. and your mother :)

  3. Natalie Ward says:
    May 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM

    very cute btw

  4. thejacksgraze says:
    May 4, 2010 at 5:18 AM

    you look cute as always Layne! great story though... I have cried at a short haircut myself...

  5. Anonymous Says:
    May 4, 2010 at 6:52 AM

    it's so cute! despite the initial tragedy (i do wish you had a couple pictures of that, haha!), i would say it's a complete success!

  6. Lady West says:
    May 4, 2010 at 6:55 PM

    Awww Layne! Hair is such a personal and integral part of a woman. No wonder so many women have shaved their heads to make a statement or express their emotions. I love the cut! You look fab no matter how you wear it!

  7. judykprescott says:
    May 5, 2010 at 4:09 AM

    Oh heavens Layne!! You should never fear you can always fix hair:)I'm sorry(especially for Jon!) but it sure looks cute now:) Easy too, huh? Happy to see the pics:)Love you SO much.

  8. ninismom33 says:
    May 5, 2010 at 1:57 PM

    Hair is a very scary/emotional thing - why do you think I never venture out to change mine? I could be emotionally scarred forever. I may never trim my ends again till I see you!Lucky for you, you have great hair and it looks very cute:))

  9. faith says:
    May 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM

    Its so cute! I can relate to the tears only mine come after a two inch trim that I get once a year. You are far more brave than I am. Good job, it looks really cute.

  10. Heather@Cultivated Lives says:
    May 6, 2010 at 6:48 AM

    adorable. You are so brave to have tried cutting it yourself. I butcher my little boys hair time and time again... Thankfully hair grows!

  11. Kate Brownng Ware Says:
    May 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM

    From one hairstylist to another...you did a great job, and I think it looks great! Love the profile...great angles!

Post a Comment