Less than 8 weeks to go!

Here we are, 32 weeks along.

My back went out on Christmas Eve, sending me to the ER, multiple doctors' appointments, and eventually driving to South Africa in search of a Chiropractor knowledgeable of working with very pregnant women. Thankfully we found one, I was adjusted, and I am on my way to complete recovery.

With my previous back problems and at this point in pregnancy my muscles beginning to relax in preparation for labor, it made it easy for my spine to sort of slip 'out-of-whack'. Looks like for the next 8 weeks I will need to be a little more cautious. =/

Maybe my 60 hours of constant pain was good practice for labor without pain medication, allowing me to discover "comfortable" positions for this big ol' pregnant bod of mine. Hot showers and the exercise ball were some of the only relief.


Other than that lovely experience the only other ailment has been my big fat swollen feet at the end of the days. I've never had swollen feet/cankles in my life. It's not that I find them hurting as much as just creepy looking.

Anaya has moved herself more on top of my bladder. Lovely. I have already had one little accident sneezing. I looked at Jon and said, "I have to go change; I think I peed myself!" Isn't that just one of the nice perks of this journey? I have lost all confidence in myself being able to hold it in, so I tend to frequent the toilet, I am sure well before the need. Nights are full of me trying to roll this whale of a self out of bed, waddle to the bathroom in the dark, and then climb back in bed, adjusting the 50 million pillows surround me.

Oh! (I guess I lied when I said swollen feet were the only ailment... they keep coming to me!) I no longer have room for food. Indigestion is a regular part of life now, and the desire for food is quickly diminishing. Small meals will be key I suppose. Maybe it will help the weight slow down.

I think I've gained somewhere between 22 and 25 pounds. I am not positive because this morning I was down. I think the holidays coming to a close and my lack of desire for food has balanced me out. We'll see where I end up. I'd love to stay at 30 or below, but since I still have 8 weeks, I'm not sure that's going to happen. =)

Anaya is active, what seems like all day every day. Sometimes I think she'll push right out of there! My tummy looks like rolling waves, all to the right one second and then to left the next. Nice thing was, even with all my back pain, she kept up her movements, allowing me peace of mind for her safety.

We are getting closer to being finished in her room. I am anxious to have it all ready for her. I'll post pictures when it's completed. I still need to sew curtains, but I'm waiting until my back feels up to sitting in front of a sewing machine for an hour or two.

Well, I've written a lot. Hope you feel updated! Can't wait to meet my baby girl.

7 Response to "Less than 8 weeks to go!"

  1. Louisa Says:
    December 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM

    Less than 8 weeks! Wow, that sounds crazy soon. (And I'm not far behind!) How wonderful it will feel to carry our babies in our arms... and give our bellies a break! : )

  2. thejacksgraze says:
    December 31, 2010 at 12:22 AM

    not to be a pessimist... but maybe a more accurate statement would be, "about 8 weeks, maybe 9 or 10 (!) to go" (= I will hope for you, Layne (and Louisa too!), that it is more like 8 though!!! You look great, very cute!

  3. Amy Wilson says:
    December 31, 2010 at 2:22 PM

    So glad you are getting better! I remember everything you are talking about from the cankles to the lack of room for food. You are almost there! Keep up the good work momma! You are doing great:)

  4. Bethany Miller Says:
    December 31, 2010 at 7:44 PM

    Your back trouble sounds awful. Evie called on Christmas Eve to tell us that you were at the hospital; we prayed for you and are overjoyed that the chiropractor was able to help your body heal.

    Oh, and don't worry about the weight gain! Tiny people like you need the extra pounds. It helps give the baby optimal nutrition in the womb and while breast feeding. Plus, it will come off quicker than you would imagine once Anaya is out and in your arms. I gained almost forty pounds with Evangeline and was back to pre-pregnancy weight about eight months after her birth.

    I'm praying for sweet sleep for you over the next eight weeks, even if it only comes in short spurts!

  5. bleedingdaughter says:
    December 31, 2010 at 11:53 PM

    i was laughing so hard at your levity in all of this- youre great. i remember some of your back pain. geez. cant imagine. having anaya will feel like a breeze now!

  6. Vicki Says:
    January 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM

    All moms deeply sympathize and identify with you, dearie. We'll never forget those moments of panic -- "get that baby off my bladder NOW!" Perhaps we should call ourselves The Sisterhood of the Dribbling Pants.

    SOOO glad your back is better!!

  7. Heather@Cultivated Lives says:
    January 12, 2011 at 5:27 AM

    Your post brought back (mostly) good memories. I used to think it was so weird to see women who had given birth to several kids or pregnant moms cross their legs then they laughed hard or sneezed. Once I was hugely pregnant with my first, I understood...

    So relieved to hear you are feeling better. We are praying for a smooth rest of the pregnancy.

Post a Comment