Cloth Diapers - Report #1

They are cute, cute.



Wouldn't you agree?

As for leaking...

Day 1 was fairly successful. During the day, we had no leaks. She wore the diapers about 3 hours at a time. I put double inserts in for the night, and the diaper made it 10 hours, but I should have changed her right away, instead of trying to wait until her feeding. She did leak around the leg.

I was feeling pretty good, somewhat proud of myself, as if I had made the diapers or something. Ha! However, day 2 fell apart. Lots of leaks, even after less than 2 hours. Needless to say, I was very frustrated. Now, when I say leaks, I'm not talking super wet, but it does get her little onesie wet around the leg.

For now, I put her back in disposables. We had an all day outing today, and I just didn't want to worry about it.

Here is the plan: After reading some reviews, I think I will strip my diapers. What this means is that I will soak them in water with dish soap. (In the US they recommend Dawn dish soap. I don't have that here in Mozambique, so I will use Sunlight.) The covers have certain synthetics in them that can make them less absorbent. One lady said she had the same problems that I am having, but after stripping them, no more leaks! I am hoping this will work as well for me and solve our leaking problems.

I will soak them tonight, wash them tomorrow, and hang them to dry.

I shall report on Monday or Tuesday.

5 Response to "Cloth Diapers - Report #1"

  1. Louisa Says:
    April 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM

    Boo to leaking! I hope the stripping with solve your problems. Thank goodness for all the info you can find on the internet. I read TONS of stuff about cloth diapering when I first started. (I finally had to stop because I was on information overload and found so many contradicting recommendations.) I think you just have you use your best judgement and try some trial and error to find what works for you.

    They REALLY are cute. : )

  2. Heather@Cultivated Lives says:
    May 1, 2011 at 2:25 AM

    Wow, I had never heard of needing to strip new diapers... I hope that helps. Have you noticed a difference in whether the solid colors or the patterns are leaking more? My prints always leaked like crazy and I ended up selling them and only using solids. (Of course this could be brand specific.)

    I ended up using disposables when we would be out for a long time too. It was just too much trouble to dispose of #2 and cart the clean and dirty diapers around. We used cloth at home and for shorter trips out.

    I hope everything evens out for you.

  3. ninismom33 says:
    May 2, 2011 at 1:56 AM

    Oh, the hi's and lo's of diapering;) Look at my precious niece in that little black dress!! That diaper is perfect! Hope the stripping works, we will wait for details to come..

  4. ninismom33 says:
    May 2, 2011 at 1:59 AM

    P.S.
    Anaya's face is like "Mom, your taking this whole diapering situation really seriously." Ha Ha!

  5. bleedingdaughter says:
    May 4, 2011 at 4:49 AM

    wow.

Post a Comment