DIY Light Table

In my exploration of how to teach preschool for Anaya, I was exposed to light tables as a means of learning. There are endless activities to use them. (check google, Pinterest, playathomemom.blogspot.com, etc.) Put it this way, just about everything is more awesome on a light table. Well I soon decided we must have one. Because I have a handy hubby, we came up with a plan, and as of today we are proud owners of our very own light table! (Said with bursting excitement)

Here is how we did it:

Bought a clear plastic storage tub with a flat smooth top


We painted the inside silver to reflect the light well. (I bought heat resistant spray paint, because I didn't want to worry at all.)


Bought 2 florescent lights to put inside


Hot glued them to the bottom of the tub and connected the two cords


Drilled a hole in the side for the cord to come out


Added an extension cord with and on/off switch


Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit under the lid, so you don't see the bulbs straight through the clear top


And ta-da! Light table!
Love that it is plastic - no worries about breaking or harming it and everything can easily be wiped off. And the top has a little lip, which is great for things simply staying on the table and will be great for playing with paint and sand.


Anaya is already enjoying it


Our discovery bottles just got a lot cooler



Showing how mixing colors makes new colors!

I've only had the table a few hours, and I am loving it! Okay, okay, Anaya is too. ;) Here's to learning in fun ways!

2 Response to "DIY Light Table"

  1. judykprescott says:
    September 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM

    You amaze me... Love the light table what fun :)

  2. Nana Says:
    September 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

    I can't believe you. You just get cooler and cooler!

Post a Comment