Day at the Small Market

We went to the small market this afternoon. I am a bit hesitant now, since having a rude experience a couple times ago. Normally, I am very friendly, and they too respond very nicely. Many smiles and laughing. Every now and then there is some confusion, but nothing that can’t be overcome and giggled about.

One day recently though, there were a couple of rude women. They wouldn’t give us the price we had paid before, which was annoying, but then when we paid what they were asking, they wouldn’t give us a plastic bag like they normally do. When we asked, she tucked the bags close next to her and said she didn’t have any, even though I could see them right there. I was frustrated; feeling like it was because I was white. I let it bother me for a bit.

Today though, it was better; we had such a nice time. The ladies we so friendly as we chatted about the crazy amount of rain we had. Even though I wasn’t buying much, they added a little for free. I was blessed. Now, every good experience I have I am thankful for. I will remark to Jon in the car, “They were so nice today!” with my big smile across my face.

Veggies and other food at the market are cheap! Examples:

4 or 5 small tomatoes – 50 cents
3 or 4 onions – 50 cents
2 big avocados – 50 cents
4 or 5 small green peppers – 50 cents
3 ears of corn – 1 dollar
5 sweet potatoes – 1 dollar
A big cabbage – 2 dollars
Bag of beans – 2 dollars
A fresh loaf of bread – 50 cents
10 small donut things with sugar – 50 cents

(Veggies I miss: lettuce, cucumbers, green beans)

At the super market we can find some other things we like such as:

10 large frozen chicken breasts – 8 dollars
6 apples – 3 dollars
Top deck candy bar – 2.5 dollars (totally worth it every now and again)
A soda is about 1 dollar

Beautiful material is really cheap as well. A wrap for about $1.50 or nice material for $5

There are things you will find that lean towards the expensive side, but nowhere near what we were bracing ourselves for. Praise God! We are both very content and feel like living here moderately is quite doable. One thing I will stock up on in South Africa or Mozambique is spices! Bouillon cubes (Mozambique had great beef curry ones), garlic salt, curry powder, cayenne pepper, etc. They don’t have much variety if any here. Boo!

(Pics sometime... they take forever to upload! Check www.jonandlayne.com for a few)

3 Response to "Day at the Small Market"

  1. bleedingdaughter says:
    March 12, 2010 at 9:17 PM

    :) its neat to hear this. it feels expansive.i just want to hear more, and take it all in! listening to youor heart repeatedlly leaves me with longing. thank you.

  2. judykprescott says:
    March 15, 2010 at 4:11 AM

    I'm glad for your good days at the market! Great prices for the most part:) Love hearing about your everyday life;)

  3. ninismom33 says:
    March 16, 2010 at 3:55 AM

    People are people everywhere huh? Glad it was a nice trip, hopefully the rude ladies are in a better mood if you meet again:) Fun hearing about the fabric, we'll have to get you a sewing machine for the future;) Love you, XOXOXO

Post a Comment