Confidence

Isn't it funny how one bad experience can shatter a person's confidence?

Over the past month, I have not been able to use my Portuguese like I would like to. Because of this, I felt it slipping, yet had no idea how badly until I was sitting in front of a group of girls at the youth group trying to share my testimony/short message off the top of my head.

My verbs got tangled; I could not think of the words I needed... it was awful. I felt like running out and crying. The nerves didn't help the confusion in my head, nor did the blank faces of the teen girls present. I felt judged and inadequate. Humiliated. I pushed through, managing to painfully get my point across. Honestly it probably wasn't as horrendous as I felt. Nonetheless, I felt that way, and my confidence went down the drain.

In my pride I wanted to tell them, "I am an English professor. I am well educated. I actually love speaking. I am good at this... in English. I am!" Oh how it hurts to fail.

When I had to speak after that, even in small ways, I could feel to doubt whispering in my ear.

Just before Easter I was invited to preach the Easter service. Though nervous, I said yes, feeling like passing up this opportunity would be stupidity. I struggled with immense fear up until the night before. I decided to plan a bit more and not go with my usual English way of "a couple of bullet points and winging it". I had come to a certain peace with things, trusting the Lord for his help, but then I got very sick and was unable to have a go at it.

It was small victory though, the fact that I was putting myself out there again, being willing.

Today I had my chance.

Today was the start of a young girls' craft/Bible study that I am supposed to head up. Though a little unsure, I went with it thinking it would be a small group. There ending up being fourteen girls between 8 and 15. Praise the Lord I had such a good time, and I must say that I think my Portuguese was just fine. I will get more and more comfortable with time. I feel ready to take on anything.

Isn't it funny how one good experience can surge confidence within a person?

Just because you have one bad experience... or two or three, doesn't mean they will all be that way. Keep trying. Don't lose hope.

4 Response to "Confidence"

  1. Unknown says:
    April 11, 2010 at 9:31 PM

    I praise the Lord Layne that we do not have a God of second chances, but a God of many chances. We will only mature, persevere, and overcome when we take chnaces and make opportunities stepping stones. Always seize the moment, praise the Lord and love like He does~

  2. Anonymous Says:
    April 12, 2010 at 9:26 AM

    Hi Layne,
    You asked us to write about how your friend's passing & reading how God is working in your life on the mission field...
    I am so encouraged, inspired, and sometimes convicted and ashamed reading your blog....I was reminded today in my SS class that discipleship is intentional. It is the choice we make to begin again, and again, and again, to live victoriously and to be the overcomer He has called us to be. Did we really mean it when we said we were willing to die to ourselves and follow Him? Not all of us are called to ministry in a foreign country, but all are called to ministry wherever we are, no matter what task we do, no matter the geography of the path, no matter the friend accompanying and holding our hand. It is only my immature, fleshly self that bars the door for God to have His way in my life, in my relationships, through circumstances, and the world around me...my own stubborness to manuever it all towards recognition for a job well done....accolade feeds my arrogance and God knows just how to "nimble my fingers" during my performance to reveal to me that I am still NOTHING without Him....keeps me humble....keeps me coming back to dig deeper for what He wants to reveal to me next. Discipleship is intentional...like your Dad says, "You can never take choice out of the equation..." Keep pressin' on and we will keep prayin' you through....
    In His Mighty Grip,and to God be all Glory,

  3. bleedingdaughter says:
    April 12, 2010 at 4:38 PM

    :DDD
    that one pic looks like yall had a professional photographer
    i am excited about this girls group for you! thanks for sharing your struggle with pride. we all can relate.

  4. Unknown says:
    April 20, 2010 at 4:33 AM

    Thank the Lord you stepped out there in faith again:)I LOVE these pics!!! Oh the memories, I'm so glad you got the photos:)

Post a Comment