Remember Sandra?

Do you remember when I first got back to Mozambique and was scared to get back into hospital ministry? Do you remember my sweet friend, who lent me her nail polish and I painted my nails with her?

That was Sandra.

Sandra gave me courage. She welcomed me so graciously. She had patience with my Portuguese, helping and teaching where she could, encouraging me where I felt insecure. She opened up to me, sharing her life with me. It is because of her, I had courage to visit the others.

Sandra showed me courage. Even when things looked so bad, Sandra was optimistic. When she needed a blood transfusion. When her blood platelets were not where they needed to be. When her treatment was delayed. When her departure was postponed. Sandra trusted the Lord. Sandra always spoke of the goodness of our God.

Sandra finally got her final treatment and was eager to get home to her 12 year old daughter and husband. If you met Sandra, you knew she loved her daughter, and her daughter loved her. What a sweet reunion it was going to be; I could just picture it! Sandra wore a beautiful white dress covered in hot pink flowers for her trip home. I was always amazed how stylish she remained, even after such a long time in the hospital. She was self-conscious about her missing hair, but she was always beautiful.

Just this afternoon I found out that Sandra died. I knew she was weak when she left, and I found it hard to believe she was better. It is sad... especially for her daughter. You can pray for her.

Here is what I am happy about: Sandra saw her daughter again. She slept next to her husband again. She was able to die at home, in the town she loved with the people she loved... NOT in a dirty hospital alone.

I believe Sandra knew the Lord. I believe she is with Him today, full of strength. I believe she walks easily and her eye that was removed because of cancer, it has been made new. I believe, though she was beautiful here, she is breath-taking now.

I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to have known her.

2 Response to "Remember Sandra?"

  1. Lynne Hartke says:
    July 12, 2010 at 4:29 PM

    Thank you Layne for letting me see Sandra, and seeing her, feeling a piece of the loss, and a peace of the hope that is eternal.

  2. Vicki Heller Says:
    July 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM

    "So when this corruptible body has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, 'Death is swallowed up in victory.'
    O Death, where is your victory?
    O Grave, where is your sting?
    ...Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!"

Post a Comment