Welcome to My Little Food Tour

Five pounds and a fabulous vacation later...
here's a look at the delicious food along the w
ay.

George, South Africa

We started with breakfast at this little french place I found in a magazine on the airplane. And boy we were glad when it was over!

We actually ate there on day 2 as well, though I missed a picture of that cream and chocolate filled pastry... it looked and tasted so good I forgot the camera hanging on my chair!






Because of the phenomenal weather, we chose an outdoor table in the garden area.

Jon had a yummy latte, and my still cautious tummy opted for...









Fresh strawberry juice! Yum!










And for the main course we had basil infused scrambled eggs, back bacon, and a homemade croissant.

Even Jon was left saying, "Wow."





Because of our late big breakfast, we decided to pass on lunch and opt for a late afternoon dessert at the not-so-original Mugg and Bean. Let me tell ya, as you see in this picture, again getting carried away eat and not photo taking... this caramel cheesecake was heavenly.














The next meal was at a private golf course called Fancourt. Ultra fancy. Ultra scrumptious.





I started with the pumpkin soup, which was some of the best I've had.











Jon started with a spicy chicken salad.












I chose the salmon and mashed potatoes.












Jon went for the beef kabobs and rice.








Swellendam, South Africa





On the way to Montagu in a town called Swellendam we found a lovely outdoor cafe to enjoy a nice fresh lunch. The building had been there since sometime in the 1800's.

















I had a chicken avocado salad with sundried tomatoes and yummy veggies.













Jon had a sandwich... he loves good sandwiches.
















To wrap it up, hot chocolate cake... the best I've had in Africa, possibly anywhere.






Montagu, South Africa


For dinner in Montagu, after a bike ride, we wanted a medium priced semi-casual place, which we found at the Ye Olde Tavern. Since Fancourt was super fancy, and we wanted to scale down a bit. And face it, you like to say 'Ye Olde Tavern' too.












We both opted for the gourmet burgers. And look at those onion rings. Sigh.















On the way out of Montagu we stopped for breakfast at this cute little spot that had a precious gift shop with bunches of homemade goodies. (So typically South African)









We both got the full deal... and the sausage was the highlight. Almost American tasting.







Hermanus Bay, South Africa





After some awesome whale watching we went to an outdoor cafe called Cafe Europa. I got the fish and chips which was cooked is a butter garlic. Yum!










Jon went with the prawns and chips, or as Americans would say 'shrimp and fries'.






Stellenbosch, South Africa





That afternoon we arrived in Stellenbosch, and when I saw this, I had to go.










I chose the carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting and Jon had the espresso with meringue. Wish I could say they were better... not bad, but my cupcakes are better. And so are Sprinkles. =) Cute shop though, and cute idea.











And in Stellenbosch's hip/old downtown we found Cape to Cuba for a lovely night outside with good food.















I had chicken with a poblano (sp?) blue cheese sauce and creamed spinach and rice. Very enjoyable.












And Jon had this delicious stir-fry.















Walking around town we spotted this cake shop called 'Mila Cake Shop' that had breakfast... a must.













This doesn't even do justice to how cute the inside was... all pink and red. I LOVED it.












My orange spice rooibos tea. The sand timer told me when it was ready. How cool is that?











And two raspberry croissants, thank you!







Cape Town, South Africa





And while killing time before checking into our guest house, we picked-up Subway. Yes, I miss Subway.









Dinner at Quay-Four on the waterfront.

Starting with fish cakes, which is really their version of crab cakes, and tasted quite delightful.










I forget the type of fish this was, but it was yummy in a white wine garlic-y sauce and prawns on top.










Jon had a cajun crusted fish, which had a very nice flavor and a butter sauce to pour.












Afterwards we enjoyed coffee... yep we! I had my 1st coffee in some 2-3 months, and I enjoyed it.










My vanilla latte. Yay flavorings!












Sunday morning, lots of cafes closed, but we did manage to find Eco-cafe that had bagel breakfast sandwiches, and even a gingerbread latte for me!










Upon recommendation we went down to Sinnfull ice cream shop. It is actually the owner's last name, but almost feels sinful to eat. ;)















I had a toffee ice cream and a cookies'n'cream. I love ice cream.














Jon had what I had, plus a cookie dough scoop.










For dinner we went to an Eastern Bazaar, which was really cool. Each station had food from a different country. There was a busy vibrant feel inside and the food was really authentic.










Jon had butter chicken and I had chicken curry and we both had butter garlic naan. May not look tasty in the pic, but SO good.












A super cute spot called 'Bread Milk & Honey' that I read about in a magazine. Doesn't it just look like a place you want to go?















Homemade apple cinnamon muffins. Latte for Jon and a spice chai latte for me, before our hike up Table Mountain.











And our last meal in Cape Town, a super cute diner on Long Street... for me a bacon guacamole burger and fries.
















And to share, an oreo shake.

6 Response to "Welcome to My Little Food Tour"

  1. Sarah W says:
    August 20, 2010 at 9:18 AM

    I loved taking this food tour with you! Glad you checked out Sinnful icecream....was it worth it? :) We love that place! We also ate at Quay-Four when we were there...pretty good! Looks like you had a great time...can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip went. Hugs!

  2. judykprescott says:
    August 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM

    I am cracking up Layne!!! I see ya'll had alt of VERY delicious-looking food! I've never seen so many cute restaurants, I'm ready to come to Africa now ;) Seriously, thanks for sharing and taking time to photo along the way for us all to see! Love ya'll and love thatGod blessed ya'll w/ a fabulous anniversary trip:)

  3. The Mort Says:
    August 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM

    Jon's stir-fry rice has a face on it. Just thought I'd mention...

  4. Louisa Says:
    August 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM

    Hang on... let me wipe the drool off my chin... Lol. What fun for you guys! I'm glad you were feeling well and able to enjoy all the eating (and other activities) during your trip. : ) Thanks for sharing your experiences!

  5. Amy Wilson says:
    August 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

    I'm full just looking at the pictures:) Maybe you should take up food critiquing and photography as a side job;) Thanks for sharing, glad you guys had fun;) xoxo

  6. Vicki Says:
    August 22, 2010 at 1:43 AM

    I enjoyed every minute of the tour -- thank you very much, Layne. But I'm having a hard time beliving that you two did anything other than eat. HOWEVER, I'm very glad you were able to splurge and enjoy a nice vacation for your anniversary. Happy TWO YEARS!
    And about that face on the rice: when I read The Mort's comment, I thought maybe it's the Virgin Mary -- you know how she likes to show up in random places like that -- but upon actual inspection, I have to say that it looks more like Frosty the Snowman. Who knew he lived in South Africa during the summer?

Post a Comment