God, Our Father

So I am currently doing Beth Moore's Bible study 'Living Beyond Yourself - Exploring the fruit of the Spirit'. I've really enjoyed the reminders of the character of God and who He is.

This week we are looking at the kindness and the goodness of God. She devotes one day to look at God as a nurturing parent. As a new parent, I was able to relate quite a bit. In one part she says, "We will never be successful as parents to our children until we are successful at being children to our Heavenly Father."

Okay, so here is the picture I got: My little Anaya is not much of a snuggler. She enjoys squirming or facing out to see the world, but not nestling into my neck. When I do try and hold her that way, her back and neck are stiff, looking around, bobbing her head. It is precious too, but then there are the few rare moments, moments when she is tired, that she relaxes into me and rests, her little head fitting so perfectly into my neck. I adore those moments; I store them up like treasure in my heart.

I think it is quite the same with the Lord and me. I rarely take the time to relax my tired head on the shoulder of God and give Him the time to love on me. It was that way before, but now more than ever, my mind is always buzzing with my 'to do' list. Even when I do my Bible study, I don't take the time to simply rest on Him. Instead, my back is straight and head bobbing, thinking of all the things going on around me. Oh how God, our Father, would like me to just stop and rest, to snuggle. I think, as I do, He treasures those moments with His children.

Maybe you, like me, need to work on being children to our Father so we can father/mother our children better.

Take a little time and rest on Him.

3 Response to "God, Our Father"

  1. judykprescott says:
    May 19, 2011 at 7:57 PM

    Layne! Very well said! I love that, plan to share w/my ladies tonight! They will love it too ;) That was such a great study; glad your getting to do it:) Love you to pieces;)

  2. bleedingdaughter says:
    May 22, 2011 at 1:55 AM

    i need this. and i dont know how to rest. ive lost that capacity somehow in the last year.

  3. ninismom33 says:
    May 31, 2011 at 11:55 PM

    Thanks for this post Layne, it reminds me of how amazingly peaceful and fullfilling it is to just spend time with Him, to just REST in His presence. We can really relate when we think of it in perspective of our own kids.
    Love you!

Post a Comment