My Life as a Cheerleader

The Olympics have been so enjoyable for me. I love watching gymnastics. I was in gymnastics much a of my young life, from about age 5-12 or 13. Towards the end I focused on tumbling and did a little cheerleading. I like to think I was decent for my age. Tonight Jon and I were goofing around with Anaya, doing headstands, cartwheels, and handstands. When I tried a back-walk-over, I couldn't do it. I felt old, but could laugh about it. Gone are those days...

Earlier this afternoon Jovie lay next to me on our bench outside cooing away, while Anaya ran wildly from activity to activity. I laughed a bit and said to Jon, "Oh, my life as a cheerleader!" His eyes lit up. Hmmm... nope! Not quite like he was imagining. I was talking about my role as a Mama.

When my girls are awake you will frequently hear, "Good job!" "Awesome!" "Go girl!" "YAY!" "Very good!"

Sometimes I feel like it is constant, from one girl to the next. Our kiddos vie for our attentions and desperately seek our approval. As Anaya learns to talk she will say a word over and over until we acknowledge we know what she said, and I am nearly positive she knows when we just say, "Yeah!" and don't really understand. She wants to know she communicated well.

We are shaping our little ones, building their self esteem, preparing them for this harsh world. Lord knows there are many obstacles and hurdles our children are going to have to overcome, and we parents need to be the loudest ones in the bleachers, shouting above the "Boos!", never losing hope. If they fall, we meet them where they are at, walk beside them, and help them continue, much like the father of Derek Redmond. Our role as cheerleaders is crucial.

Jen Hatmaker (If you don't know of her, you gotta check her out!), frequently talks about her Dad and the way he would encourage her and her siblings. Read this. I want to be this kind of Mama.

So for now I cheer when Anaya dances like Elmo, when Jovie smiles, when Anaya gets one leg in her pants, when Jovie says, "Ahhh", when Anaya finds her baby in her room, when Jovie kicks her legs fast, etc.

While I may not be able to do a back-walk-over anymore, I think I'm a better cheerleader than I've ever been.

4 Response to "My Life as a Cheerleader"

  1. Erika Says:
    August 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM

    Go Mama! Go Mama! I definately think your a great cheerleader mommy.

  2. judykprescott says:
    August 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

    You are and are yet to be the best cheerleader ;) Funny how our perspective changes w/age ;) Love, (from one of your greatest cheerleaders ;))

  3. Vicki Says:
    August 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM

    L - A - Y-N-E
    You're the best-est Mo-om-mie
    Cheer your girls
    Love your hubby
    Forget the back-walkover, just get down and grubby.

    Rah! Rah! Rah-rah-rah!!!

    Pathetic, I know, but it's my best spur-of-the-moment attempt at cheerleading, while holding a 2-year-old in my lap.
    Great post, Layne!

  4. Anonymous Says:
    August 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

    You have learn what Uncle Don & Aunt Joan, with God keeping us together, giving us many joys along the path of life. Our great grandson Sam show us much and we call him angel from God.

Post a Comment