Things about life in southern Africa...

You drink loads of tea with milk and sugar... of which I love.

Cows, goats, and baboons will potentially block the road on a normal drive, requiring slowing down and much honking.

Tractors are allowed to drive on the two lane road, going approximately 15 mph, backing up traffic like crazy.

You must get used to crazy passing techniques while driving. My heart is currently still adjusting.

If you go to a fast food restaurant, they will most likely not have everything on the menu, in fact probably only 50%.

You can get your newly purchased radio installed at a "shop" under the tree for about $12.

Tummy problems are normal... actually frequent.

You become willing to pay at times what I consider outrageous amounts for things like breakfast bars, cheese, ice cream, chips, etc.

You cannot pump your own gas. It is all full service.

You must tell the cashier how many plastic sacks you want before you start loading groceries... you learn to guess well.

There are termite plagues from time to time, mainly at dusk, and they love the lights. (These are not your ant sized termites either!)

Every now and again you must wonder if what you are eating is really beef.

Dancing is everywhere. I was waiting in line somewhere the other day, and a woman was just dancing in line to the music playing in the store. Lovely!

There is a drink called an Appletizer (red, green, and white) that I love. It is just sparkling juice, but I am a fan.


And those are a few highlights... here is a picture of a couple things a love. (Five roses tea: which I have found none other quite like it. Rusks: which are like a biscotti, but better. Top Decks: which are the perfect blend of milk chocolate and white chocolate, which I have never tasted any candy so good.)


2 Response to "Things about life in southern Africa..."

  1. Sarah W. says:
    November 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM

    I smiled and nodded my head to every single on of these! Trust me, you'll add to it even more!

    PS....I see you got the "mini bar".....I get those when I just want a taste, but want to save my waistline in the process! :)

  2. Tara says:
    November 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM

    I loved this post! So fun! Thought the installing of the radio and dancing was awesome!
    And one day I shall have all three of those things you love because they sound delious all at one time!

Post a Comment