You live in a dangerous land

Last night I had a lovely reminder that I live in a dangerous land... well, not absurdly so, but I should remember to be on my toes.

Jon and I were returning to our room after a lovely Thanksgiving day filled with much eating and fun game playing. As I approached our door in the dark, as I do every night, I saw movement on the ground. This is not so abnormal either, as insects are part of life here and to be expected when outside. The difference was the size of the thing.

I approached with caution and soon realized that this thing was a gigantic scorpion! I called my husband over, who bravely decided to go in the door. Not me. Too close for comfort.

It kept walking back and forth in front of the door, as if standing guard and not wanting to allow me in! A man living close came over to see what was going on, and he brought with him a large torch (flashlight). Wowee! This scorpion was the largest Jon and I have either seen. Thankfully, perhaps due to the light, it moved off the sidewalk and into the dirt. Safe. I'd be able to sleep in my room after all!

I must admit, the couple of times I had to walk outside after that, I did so slowly and with much caution... probably too much. But it was a good wake up reminder that I should be aware of where my little feet are walking, because like it or not, I live in a dangerous land.

3 Response to "You live in a dangerous land"

  1. judykprescott says:
    November 28, 2009 at 6:16 AM

    This isn't cracking me up!!! Please do watch where those little feet walk ;)

  2. thejacksgraze says:
    November 28, 2009 at 6:20 AM

    eek! glad you spotted that before you went in. be safe Layne! Hope you don't encounter any more of those nasty critters!

  3. Anonymous Says:
    November 28, 2009 at 8:19 AM

    ugh! i hate scorpions! had a few here at the house this fall, but i'm sure they were nowhere near the size of the one you saw. hope it's a while before you encounter more of those. :)

Post a Comment