This is my daily bread... Your very Word, spoken to me

You know, even as a missionary you have to decidedly hunger for the word of God. It doesn't suddenly or supernaturally become easy just because you are living in Africa. I am no "super-Christian".

Yesterday in church we sang the old song "This Is the Air I Breathe", and I was reminded of the importance of the word of God and his presence in our daily lives. Then, as God so graciously does, He tied in this morning's Bible reading.

Jon and I were reading John 6. In this passage Jesus feeds the crowd with the 5 barley loaves and 2 fish, a story we are familiar with. Then for days the people get hung up on physical food. They want Jesus to give the manna from heaven like in the Old Testament; they want food. I really can't blame them though; I like food, especially free food, and Jesus seemed to have no problem producing it. I think I would have been in the front asking. ;)

This wasn't Jesus' message though. Jesus stresses to them that He is the bread of life, that we must eat of His flesh and drink of His blood. (I know, I know, this seems like a strange passage... it was for them too. In fact many ended up turning away and no longer following Jesus.) Don't be alarmed though; we obviously cannot literally eat Jesus' flesh and blood, now can we? But we can feast on the Word, and isn't Jesus referred to as the Word in John chapter 1?

It is when we feast on Him (on His Word and in His presence) that He remains in us. Seems simple right? Until life happens. I know life can get chaotic, and things can happen "out of schedule" and throw the day off. It happens all the time to me. Mothers, I am positive you can understand this!

But if you are like me, I can I assure you that I never, and I mean never, miss out on food. Even if I grab a bar for the road, I have to eat. In fact, I get all weak and sick feeling without it. If only this happened when I wasn't in the Word. Or wait... maybe it does in a way. I normally can be more negative, shorter fuse, irritable, etc. Maybe you too?

I need the presence of God to remain in me, otherwise, I cannot breathe the "air of God" in or out. And isn't that our goal? To share the presence of God with the people around us?

So here is my challenge: No matter what kind of crazy day you have, take a moment to eat some of the Word (Jesus) and breathe in the air of His presence. (Even if sometimes it is on the run... in the car, in the bathroom, in line, etc.)

2 Response to "This is my daily bread... Your very Word, spoken to me"

  1. Lynne Hartke says:
    November 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

    Excellent reminder. Thx Laine.

  2. Tara says:
    December 2, 2009 at 6:41 AM

    I like this Buck! And you know what, I'm going to go right now and put a Bible on the back of the toliet ;) Seriously though I am, and I shall put one in the car. Or heck maybe I can download the Bible onto my Blackberry? I might check into this! I love how real you are. Just because you are a missionary doesn't make it easier and just because I'm a stay at home mom and SHOULD definately have a slot of time doesn't make it easier either. We gotta PURPOSE it. And you are right. I sure don't go without FOOD! :)

Post a Comment