Car update + me update (emotional/spiritual)

This post will sort of be like two separate posts, really close to three, so bear with me if you can. Sorry for the lack of smooth transitions! I feel like recently I have so much going on all the time it is hard to stay updated. =) I will start with the more logistical part, and then let you know a bit more of where my heart and emotions are after my recent experience. Okay? Okay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been having some car trouble. It's been a couple of weeks, but we wanted to hang on until we got to South Africa so that we could take it to a trusted mechanic. On our 7 hour drive yesterday we noticed some things, but kept truckin' along as we felt we must. We when had arrived in Pretoria just 5 km from the place we are staying we had to pull over, as the engine wouldn't idle without dying.

While this was not a good thing, I was praising the Lord we were so close! We were in Pretoria! I felt it was definitely the hand of the Lord that had gotten us that far, and that the car hadn't died much earlier in the trip.

Jon hopped out, got his handy repair manual that his brother Paul got him for Christmas, opened the hood and tinkered a bit. My initial reaction was not patience, though I tried to improve. (my Hot Tamales candies helped) After a bit, we felt like trying to get to the flat. We were fine. We even got to the grocery store last night and the Embassy this morning.









Now, our beloved Bison is at the mechanic. Looks like the carburetor and the air compressor are needing some help. We'll leave him until Friday when he'll hopefully be good as new, and ready for Angolan wilderness!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for me, I feel at peace with everything. I am so happy that Emilia is out of pain and finished with her suffering; she ran the race and has completed it. Hallelujah.

I no longer see her dead face every few hours. A friend of mine sent me some pictures of Emilia before she was sick, and I think they help me hold on to that face, not the one in so much agony.

The next day, going into the hospital was a bit of an experience. The smells. The empty bed. At first I felt nauseous. I had to intentionally "move on" for the moment. There were other women right then that I was there to minister to and love. I quickly asked the Lord for strength, and He gave it so generously.

I am sure I will still have my moments, but God is good and so very compassionate with me. I feel like now, through this suffering, that I love more. I love deeper. I know the Lord better. Why do people suffer? Maybe for these reasons. Maybe Emilia suffered for me. For this bigger picture. To teach me, so I can go on and be more like Jesus to others.

Sunday we went to say our 'Goodbyes'. I was able to talk with some of the women and nurses about what they had witnessed over the past two days between Emilia and me. I was able to give all the glory to God for the strength He alone provided. One nurse, who always seemed uncaring and detached, told the women I was speaking with that I had a lot of courage. I explained him it was only because of God.

My prayer is that those people, other people, will possibly love more now. Be brave and reach out. Not be afraid of intimacy. That they would be curious, and that they would turn to God... all because of Emilia's suffering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes people get this unrealistic idea about me, especially after a work of the Lord like the one with Emilia, so I will share with you some thoughts that are a bit embarrassing. Let's keep it real, yeah? I am just one ordinary girl, who has put herself in situations where God can show up. In moments like the one I will share, He keeps me humble.

Here it is:

The very next day after Emilia died, I squatted next to an albino woman to chat a bit and pray. Her skin was covered in small sores, flaking everywhere. Her bandages wrapped all up her legs. She had a huge protruding sore above her eye that was covered with some gauze where flies liked to land and crawl around, sometimes even making it inside. I am sure her sheets had been peed on several times. The smell of decay just lingered. Even her teeth looked as if they were rotting.

As she talked with me in fast Portuguese, my mind was elsewhere. I sat there looking at her, wondering if I could do the same thing for her that I did for Emilia. If I would be able to wrap my arms around her and press our faces close together. I really am not sure... I feel awful even saying it, but I don't know. Imagining it in my head, I felt grossed out.

I came to this conclusion, that the Holy Spirit would take over the same way He did with Emilia, and yes, He alone could equip me to do such things.

It was time to move on and I wanted to pray with her. This time I grabbed her hands, and we prayed. I had to prove to myself I was not afraid. I thanked the Lord right then and there that He was able to look down and see beauty, and then I prayed that He would help me see through His eyes.

8 Response to "Car update + me update (emotional/spiritual)"

  1. faith says:
    February 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM

    I found your page a while ago through Sarah Witt and after reading and loving what you write about I realized that I knew your husband while I was at LBOM. Small world. I hope you don't mind me commenting but I'm not a fan of "lurking" on blogs. You are so humble and full of love for the people you meet and like you said its Jesus in you but I think its also your willingness to be His vessel. Just wanted to let you know your words and life are an inspiration even to a stranger in Chicago. Blessings to you! Faith

  2. Lynne Hartke says:
    February 3, 2010 at 1:39 AM

    I agree with Faith - no blog lurkers allowed! I agree with everything else Faith wrote, as well. Thx for the update, Layne. I've been praying.

    We grieve. With hope.

    Lynne

  3. Tara says:
    February 3, 2010 at 2:16 AM

    You know the day we were praying with you that the Lord would take Emilia, mom and I were in the car and chatting about the whole thing, tears and all...and we said, "We wouldn't tell Layne this now (while you were in the midst of it) but that just maybe the Lord had Emilia going through that end for you." Crazy you said that yourself. I believe He grew you leaps and bounds and that His glory is all over the story of Emilia and Layne. I love you tons. Went with mom to the nursing home today, just me and her. Thought so much of you as I looked at those sweet old faces. They are the same. Needing love...needing relationship and chatting with people who care about them. I think our family will never be the same. So God worked through Emilia's life for us too. Thank you Lord...Never let us get complacent...

  4. Anonymous Says:
    February 3, 2010 at 2:25 AM

    layne, i just wanted to say that i'm so proud of you for walking back into that hospital again the next day. it would've been so easy to just disappear, especially since you were leaving so soon. i'm glad you were able to be brave and go back. you're awesome and i love you and miss you so much!

  5. Vicki Heller says:
    February 3, 2010 at 2:29 AM

    Your experiences profoundly affect your readers, Layne. Just like the woman that anointed Jesus with perfume, about whom He said that what she had done would be told around the world as a memorial to her -- Emila's life and death story is being told around the world as a memorial to her. She suffered, and we grieve. But we are changed. May her life and death move us, your readers, to find and love the suffering around us.
    Dan and I are thinking of 2010 as the year of Matthew 25:40 -- "when you did it unto the least of these ... you did it unto Me." How will this affect our lives? How will we be different because of Emilia? Thank you Layne, for being willing to be a catalyst for change in your readers (oh -- did you not know that's what you are?). May Emilia's life and death bring more glory to Jesus, because of the changes that result from her story. She will feel so honored!

  6. judykprescott says:
    February 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM

    Oh, Layne! Oh Layne....I cannot say it better than these before me, but I do agree intensely with them. God not only set out to change Emilia,the people at that hospital, and all your readers but He set out to change you :) For Himself and what God plans, He does! I love you and you teach me and for that I Praise Jesus!
    Let me add, you always make me smile and often laugh, love the pics!!!!

  7. Unknown says:
    February 3, 2010 at 6:00 PM

    The impact of your blogs is chnaging people here at the ministry. What I have preached and taught for years about serving others and doing more for Christ each day has now taken root with those who have read your blog. As God continues to change you we too will be changing with you. I am so proud of you and the impact for Christ in which you are making not just there, but here in our lives, church and community. Thank you for giving your life for the gospel~

  8. ninismom33 says:
    February 4, 2010 at 3:55 AM

    Ha! I love that you are so honest. I can totally relate to the female attitude ajustment you had to have while your precious husband tried to fix the Bison with a manual (HARD!!)I love that the Lord gave you entertainment in the form of your camera and the giant sized box of tamales!God is using you to change hearts all over the world and espescially here at home. Thanks Layne, for showing me how to love others well. Thanks Emilia, for showing me how to endure to the end. We'll meet someday... Wayne, I miss you. I'm ready to come:)

Post a Comment