First African Parasite... I think.

Hello toilet, let's be friends.


One thing as a missionary, you become used to tummy problems. The usual uncomfortable word "diarrhea" is said without missing a beat... "Oh, and you have diarrhea?" (along with the sympathetic nod)


Mozambique did not want to disappoint, so upon being here for only two days I already have gotten something, and I say "something" without really wanting to know what that creepy little something is. What I do know is that my body is not a fan, and is trying it's darnedest to eliminate it.


This elimination process has been quite uncomfortable and accompanied by some not so usual (for me) intense sharp pains. Boo!


I have attempted to keep moaning to a minimum, seeing as the bathroom has a large open window up top, over looking the lovely garden where people like to gather some quiet time. I would hate to interrupt. (Ha!)


Thankfully, our previous 'Around the World' trip introduced this terribly intimate occasion to our marriage, and my husband has seen the worst of it. That bout of illness was far worse than this, requiring constant supervision to prevent fainting or falling from weariness... hideous right? Yeah... needless to say, my self-consciousness about this area was forced out the window early on, and my husband is an awesome caretaker. Ah! Reminds me of a quick story. (bear with me)


While in Angola last year, I had this "bout" I spoke of earlier. At one point
I had either just vomited or used the toilet, when my husband walked in
to check on me. In my delirious state, when he walked in I heard him say,
"Oh God that stinks!" My newly married self thought, "Well gee, as if I
didn't know that." Humiliated. After recounting the story later, I realized
I had heard wrong. Though I cannot remember the exact words, he had
definitely not said that and indeed said something filled with much more
sympathy.


Anyways, this is a very real part of missions and my life in Africa so I thought I'd share. Hopefully you found some humor in my misery, you awful people, you.

3 Response to "First African Parasite... I think."

  1. thejacksgraze says:
    December 11, 2009 at 4:47 AM

    Hope you feel better soon Layne!

  2. judykprescott says:
    December 13, 2009 at 5:20 AM

    You crack me up! Praying for you, you know:)

  3. Vicki Heller says:
    December 18, 2009 at 6:27 PM

    Oh, Layne, Layne, Layne!! You are really hilarious, as well as AWESOME for being able to find humor in your misery. I am so glad you are beginning to feel better though.
    About your story of last fall in Angola: maybe, just maybe, Jon really DID say, "Oh man that stinks," but was referring to the stinkiness of being so sick instead of the smell??? Anyway, it was a great story. And NO MORE BEING SICK, OKAY?

Post a Comment