Thoughts of a missionary

The way one thinks when becoming a missionary changes.

Of course, right?

In this blog I am going to share a story about money, just because I like to be honest, and I like you to know what goes on in the head of a missionary.

You see, I started working out recently. Again. I am trying to get a jump start on the new year. I wanted to look for some hand weights that I could use with my video, so while we were at a large store "Game" I peeked to see the price. Most everything is more expensive here than in the States, so I knew to approach hesitantly.

18 dollars. For one 5 pound hand weight.

I need two.

Couldn't do it.

It is not so much that we don't have the money, because we do. We do because we have amazing supporters who love us and share our heart for Africa.

I am not even saying that I won't ever pay it. Maybe at some point I will decide it is worth it. First I will check in South Africa and make sure I cannot get them cheaper, but I may pay $36 for weights to help stay healthy.

But not right now.

It is different living on support. We live on comfortable budget. We do not live a deprived life by any means. I just want to be sure to honor the people who believe in us, the ones who give to see that the people of Mozambique, of Angola, are loved.

You see?

So when I make a purchase, I think twice.

That's all.

It is not a bad thing. It is just how it is, living on support.

2 Response to "Thoughts of a missionary"

  1. judykprescott says:
    December 24, 2009 at 6:34 AM

    Your a great girl, Layne:)

  2. Katie Burkett Says:
    December 6, 2011 at 10:23 PM

    Such a responsible Woman. If you are still working out and don't have weights..... maybe?? you can find some heavy can food cans. :)

Post a Comment