Things Street Vendors Sell in Maputo

Here we go...

  • Fruits and veggies
  • Fresh flowers. Beautiful ones!
  • Cashews
  • Newspapers
  • Artificial Christmas trees (probably only during December)
  • Purses, dresses, and p.j. pants made out of the most colorful African fabrics
  • Wood carvings (My personal favorite: A hippo standing, wearing a suit, glasses, and smoking a pipe. I want one. Everytime I see it it makes me giggle.)
  • Shoes. They love shoes here. On the sidewalk there will be piles of shoes for sale. How you ever find the pair, I don't know.
  • Maps of Mozambique. Large detailed ones on wooden dowels.
  • DVDs
  • Jewelry
  • Plug adapters. Much needed here. Ex: A picture of how I charge my computer.
  • Beautiful paintings on cloths like the following picture. (I plan to buy a few before moving to Angola. I love them!)


That's all I can think of for now. I mentally "drove" down the street. If I see anything else fun, I'll let ya know.

2 Response to "Things Street Vendors Sell in Maputo"

  1. Vicki Heller says:
    December 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM

    Fun! Take a picture of that hippo!

  2. Katie Burkett Says:
    December 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM

    I love how detailed you are in your writing. :) I love all the colorful clothing they have. Last time Brion and I went to Uganda I left early and he came home 2 months after me. He brought me home a traditional east african dress. I have to say I think it is a little unatractive hehehe. It was a nude peachy color and man I would only wear it in Africa. It was the thought that counted. lol.

Post a Comment