Trying to "feel" like Christmas... despite the heat.

As much as I love my two foot Christmas tree, and I do love it, it is not quite enough to bring the warm fuzzies I am used to during this time of year.

I have played much Christmas music around here, drank solely out of my red Starbucks cups, put on my red and green outfits, painted my toes red, gone to some parties, sang carols, watched 'Elf'...

Sigh.


It is just the whole waking up to 95 degree heat just kills it. Ya know?

In our apartment the sun comes up and straight into the living room, which means the minute I walk out of my room, I am hot. And grumpy.


I worked out this morning to a cardio video, and afterward I could not cool down for the life of me. I ended up taking a cool shower, but still came out with a face looking like a tomato.

Then this afternoon I was out on our balcony folding clothes (because we line dry everything, which is a story for another blog) and I thought I was going die. It was so very very hot.

Okay, okay, I am exaggerating a bit there. I wasn't going to die, but sweat was dripping from bizarre places. Only in Africa have I learned the feeling of sweat coming out the pores on my calves. Not nice.

To top things off, in all of our attempts at making Christmas like home, we missionaries bake for all the parties. The problem with this is that it means we have to turn the oven on, and that makes it even hotter.

I won't give up though.

This is my Christmas, and my first in Africa. We will have to learn to make new traditions, and somehow incorporate the things we deem most important from home... even if it means being a little extra hot.

4 Response to "Trying to "feel" like Christmas... despite the heat."

  1. Sarah W. says:
    December 20, 2009 at 9:47 PM

    Hang in there! That first one is always the hardest and since ya'll are in transition, I am sure it's even harder. I am glad you have a place though with a kitchen so you can cook! Hugs....I am thinking of you. I wish I could send you some of this massive piles of snow!!

  2. judykprescott says:
    December 22, 2009 at 5:52 AM

    Hang in there sweet girl! I trust it will cool down eventually, right?! Then you could put the tree up:) I love you and your stories!

  3. Lynne Hartke says:
    December 22, 2009 at 6:22 PM

    I remember when we first moved to Arizona and went swimming on Christmas Day - so weird!! We had come from northern Canada, up near Hudson Bay, where it was -40!! Snow and all it's beautiful whiteness had been such a part of my Christmas memories, first as a child in Minnesota and then as a missionary to the Cree people. Some parts of me still miss it (but NOT the cold part), but we have made new and lasting tradtions here which are now part of my kids' memories. Snow does not even make their list!

  4. Katie and Brion Burkett Says:
    December 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM

    As Brion and I sit in our very small living room right now, him drawing and me reading all your amazing blog stories.... I read this one to him. We both laughed and thoroughly enjoy your writing.

Post a Comment