Righteous Anger

This evening as Jon and I were listening to the football game we heard what sounded like beating and moaning outside. We jumped up as quick as we could to look out off our balcony. What we saw was terribly disturbing.

A boy of about the age 10 was tied up at the hands and feet, and a group of three or four men were beating him with the soles of shoes. They were hitting him over the head and on the body. I could hear the slaps from 6 stories up. They stood him up and knocked him down.

Jon put on shoes and ran downstairs. I started yelling from the balcony, "Para!!" "Stop!!" "NO!"

My heart was racing; I was nauseated.

Finally, before Jon could get out, a woman ran out to stop it. She was quite upset and made sure the boy was untied. Jon got out there, and I decided I wanted to take water to the boy. I threw on jeans and ran downstairs... filled with furious rage.

Some adults had taken the boy by the time I got there. I went after them, but I didn't get to them in time. He was safe though. For now.

We stuck around and talked a little with the crowd. The boy, along with friends, were stealing lights and mirrors from cars. We figured. Their idea is that if they beat him bad enough, the other children will catch wind of it and won't come around to steal. The police won't do anything so they take it into their own hands.

I get that. I know they cannot just get away with stealing... But as I told them, you do not tie him up and do not beat his head. Jon argued well that we pay guards to sit in front of our building to protect our vehicles and building. Why didn't they not stop them sooner? The boys were in the light right near the guard. Jon said, "Beat the guard for not doing his job, not the children."

We felt good that we were not the only ones who thought it was wrong. We were joined by a few Mozambicans. I know we probably do things different in America, but there is a line. This was wrong. Everything, Christ in me, said it was wrong.

I am still flustered and bothered by the whole event.

5 Response to "Righteous Anger"

  1. bleedingdaughter says:
    January 11, 2010 at 4:19 AM

    glad yall ran! and what a wonderful thing that you could connect with the people you live around. im still trying to do that here!

  2. judykprescott says:
    January 11, 2010 at 5:41 AM

    I'm certain it was disturbing to witness, it's disturbing to read! Praying for ya'll, and the city.

  3. Tara says:
    January 11, 2010 at 8:08 PM

    I'm frustrated and bothered too! Oh there is so much pain and hurt in the world and it almost seems overwhelming but I love reading how ya'll are in the midst of it, shining Jesus even though it seems as though it is endless...

  4. Lynise Joy says:
    January 14, 2010 at 4:09 AM

    I can comment now! Love you!

  5. Lynise Joy says:
    January 14, 2010 at 4:11 AM

    Me again, Lynise not Dog Blog.

Post a Comment